Sunday, June 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Bread

It has been cold and raining on and off all day, and that made me want to bake something warm and yummy. So I searched through all the recipes I have bookmarked on my computer and I settled on one that I forgot about, and I had all the ingredients for.

Peanut Butter Bread!
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite blogs Chocolate Covered Katie She is a dessert blogger who makes healthy desserts, all are vegan, and most of them also have gluten free/sugar free options.
I chose to take this recipe for Peanut Butter Sandwich Bread and try making it the gluten free way. I also changed it a little bit, so I will post my changed recipe.

Peanut Butter Bread
Gluten free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan
This version of the bread is not sweet, so if you want the bread to be sweeter I suggest going with the original recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 2 tsp Xanthan Gum (Also Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (I used Teddie Chunky w/Flaxseed)
  • 2 Tbsp Applesauce (I used Unsweetened)
  • 4 Pks Stevia
  • 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1 1/2 Cups Milk (I used Unsweetened Almond Milk)
  • 1/3 Cup Plum Amazins (Diced Prunes... this is my add in)
***I omitted the salt and the extra sweetener. My bread was not very sweet, so if you want your bread to be sweeter I suggest following the original recipe. I think I might add some agave nectar next time I make it just to make it a little bit sweeter, so it's more of a dessert bread.
This is the bread right as I put it in the oven. Gluten Free bread dough is not like regular bread dough, it tends to be much more wet and sticky, and it is more of a batter then a bread dough.
Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Spray a loaf pan with non stick spray or oil of choice. I used Pam Spray.
  3. Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
  5. Stir in your add ins. I used Plum Amazins, but next time I might add some more dried fruit and some chopped nuts.
  6. Pour Batter into loaf pan and smooth the surface with the back of the spoon.
  7. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
  8. Let cool for at least 15-30 minutes before cutting.
  9. Serve plain or toasted with Fruit Spread, Melted Chocolate, Butter, Marshmallow Fluff, or make the Ultimate PBJ!

I tried one slice right from the oven with some Red Raspberry All Fruit Spread w/Fiber. And the second piece I toasted and had with the same Raspberry Spread.

It came out of the oven with a nice crust, and it looked and smelled very yummy, but like I said it was not very sweet. I was trying not to make it sweet because I wanted to spread it with the Raspberry fruit spread, and that is plenty sweet on it's own, but I think the bread may have been a tiny bit bland. It probably didn't help that I omitted the salt as well.
I will keep experimenting with it, but in the mean time I am going to enjoy this!
YUM!

2 comments:

  1. Love all your experimenting! ^_^ Sorry it didn't come out quite right, but it's cool that you know what to fiddle with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Although it wasn't just right, it is still yummy, and I'm glad it wasn't one of those experiments that ends up getting tossed in the trash.

      Delete