This recipe is a great idea to make for a summer cookout or a picnic, and you are sure to get a ton of compliments on it.
Who wouldn't want to feel like a Giant eating a mini watermelon?
What you'll need:
- 1 box Red Gelatine (I used sugar free Raspberry Jello)
- 4-5 Limes (I got small ones but it would work with medium or large limes as well)
- 1 Cup Strawberries (Chopped)
- 1-2 tsp Black Seeds (I used Organic Poppy Seeds, but you could also use Chia, Black Sesame, or Flax seeds)
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 3/4 Cup Cold Water
- Sharp Pairing Knife
- Serrated Spoon/Grapefruit Spoon
- Slice your limes in half lengthwise, and scrape out the insides with your serrated spoon. This is the part that take the longest time. Discard the lime insides (Save the juice for some other recipe).
- Place lime skin halves into a container large enough to hold them all so they can be filled with the gelatine mixture later.
- Pour package of red gelatine into a bowl and add boiling water. Stir to dissolve completely.
- Puree strawberries with the cold water in your blender. Pour into the gelatine and mix well.
- Refrigerate jello mixture for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until it starts to thicken.
- Spoon gelatine into the lime shells and place back into the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Overnight is better. You will most likely have leftover gelatine, spoon it into a bowl and let it firm in the refrigerator for a yummy snack later on. (Check out the Red Berry Parfait/Mousse I made with the leftovers)
- When gelatine is firm, carefully slice the limes into wedges.
- Sprinkles seeds over wedges to add the appearance of watermelon seeds.
- Serve chilled.