Friday, April 6, 2012

Piggy Hanami Bento Picnic

Hanami (花見?, lit. "flower viewing") is the Japanese traditional custom of enjoying the beauty of flowers, "flower" in this case almost always meaning cherry blossoms ("sakura") or (less often) plum blossoms ("ume").
We have some Cherry Blossoms near where I live, so I decided to make a bento picnic for me and my fiance to share while viewing the beautiful pink flowers. Since the flowers are pink, and I have a lot of pink piggy bento boxes I thought it would be a great idea to make a Piggy Bento Picnic! Pigs also happen to be my favorite animal, so I really enjoyed making this picnic.
 It turned out to be a lot of food, and we weren't able to finish it all. Oops. I guess I was a little overzealous with making the bento. lol
 
For lunch we had:
  • Jamaican Jerk Tofu
  • Spinach Tamagoyaki
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Edamame
  • Turkey Octodogs
 
Here is the fruit portion:
  • Strawberries (one was giant!)
  • Blueberries
  • Cutie Clementine
  • Watermelon
  • Cantaloupe
  • Pineapple
 And for dessert:
  • Nutorious Pumpkin Palooza (Delicious nut snack)
  • Sugar Free Jello Beans (Cherry, Orange, Lemon, and Lime jello in a jelly bean mold)
  • Annie's Perry Patch Bunny Fruit Snacks
 I love all my super cute piggy bento boxes!
Here it is all packed up and ready to go... But it was too cold outside for us to have a picnic... so we ate our lunch inside, then we went for a brief walk under the flowering trees.
It was beautiful, though the blossoms weren't as pink as they were last week. Oh well.
 Here is the walkway under the trees.
 The sky looks so beautiful through the blossoms.
One of the blossoms blew off of the tree in the wind, and I took a picture. Isn't it beautiful?

4 comments:

  1. Awwwww! It's all so cute! X-D And the trees are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super tasty and cute!!! And the trees were so pretty! Just wished they didn't get rid of the trees on the other side of the street, it would have made a great picnicking spot =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me Too. I hope they finish the construction soon and they replant some trees. It would be really nice to picnic there next year.

      Delete