Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Maple Almond Oatmeal

Are you looking for a breakfast that is High Fiber, Gluten Free, Vegan, Free of Refined Sugars and will keep you full for hours? Then your search is over! Try my Maple Almond Oatmeal before you go to work, or if you need something to keep you satisfied through lunch time. This oatmeal is so filling you might want to share it with someone if you are eating it as regular breakfast.
  • 1 Cup Water
  • 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Oats
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Ground Nutmeg
  • Dash Vanilla Extract (or use Almond Extract for an extra Almond flavor)
  • 1/8 Cup Plum Amazins (Diced Dried Prunes)
  • 1/8 Cup Sliced Almonds (Reserve some for the topping)
  • 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
  • 2 Tbsp Justin's Maple Almond Butter (See Below)
  • Raisins (Optional)
My fiance gave me a bunch of Justin's Nut Butter products in my Easter Basket. I love them! This single serving packet is Almond Butter made with Maple Syrup and has no other sweeteners added.

Directions:
- In a saucepan, bring the water, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to a boil.
- Add oatmeal, almonds, and plum amazins and stir to combine. Let it simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When Oatmeal is almost thickened add chia seeds and stir well.
- When thickened to desired consistency, remove oatmeal from heat and add maple almond butter. Stir to combine before serving.
- Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sliced almonds and optional raisins. (Other good toppings would be: Maple Syrup, Almond Milk, Sunflower Seeds, Golden Raisins, Chopped Nuts, etc.)

I hope you all enjoy my Maple Almond Oatmeal. I caution those with sweet tooths that you may need to add more maple syrup (or try adding stevia) for desired sweetness. I have been cutting down on sugars for a while now and my taste buds have changed so I do not need to add sugar to things in order to taste the sweetness.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! GO KAT, with the creativity! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love Justin's Maple Almond Butter, it's my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I think my favorite is the Chocolate Almond Butter. But there are so many more I need to try.

      Delete