Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Vegetarian Udon Soup

It's a cloudy and chilly March day, and I had all the ingredients I needed so Today I made Udon!
I found an Udon recipe a few weeks ago on the Whole Foods Market website at http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2483 and I decided to try it because it sounded a lot simplier then other recipes I looked at.
I look the recipe and Changed it a bit though, using Vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and I added mushrooms. And I didn't have any hot sesame oil so I infused some of my sesame oil with crushed pepper flakes. I also did not use any salt in the making of this soup. The broth had salt in it, so I didn't need to add any more.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Vegetable Broth
  • 2 cups Water
  • 9oz Udon Noodles
  • ?oz diced firm Tofu
  • 1/2 cup sliced Mushrooms
  • 4 handfuls Fresh Spinach
  • Sliced Green onions
  • 'Hot' Sesame oil
  • Toasted Sesame seeds (for decoration)

 

 While the soup was simmering I set the table. I didn't want to serve this soup in our boring everyday bowls, so I dug through my closet and found my pretty Asian bowls, Spoons, and Bamboo mats. I know they aren't the right bowls or spoons for this soup, but it was all I had.
Here is a close up of the pretty decorative picture on the inside.
 Then my fiance and I sat down to enjoy a warm and filling lunch together. It was soooo good. This soup definitely had Umami! If you've never heard of the work Umami it means 'pleasant savory taste' and is one of the five basic tastes together with sweet, sour, bitter, and salty.
Another bowl please!

No comments:

Post a Comment