I woke up this morning with a recipe idea. I had this all natural peanut butter with no sugar and no salt added, and I just didn't like the bland taste of it, so I had been thinking of making something with it.
Well I woke up bright and early and grabbed my notebook and pen from my nightstand and wrote out an entire recipe with things I had on hand.
Let me tell you, I have pretty good handwriting for first thing in the morning, just woke up and still laying in bed.
Here is the recipe.
- 5 Tbsp All Natural Peanut Butter (No sugar, no salt)
- 5 Tbsp Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 Cup (or 100 calorie snack bag) Craisins
- 1/2 Cup (Or 100 calorie snack bag) Crushed Pretzels
- 2 tsp Milled Flax Seed
- 2 tsp Powdered Sugar
- Mix together the dry ingredients Pretzels, Craisins, Almonds, and Flax. Set aside.
- Melt Chocolate and Peanut Butter together in microwave safe bowl. Stir in Powdered sugar until smooth. Make sure not to burn the chocolate!
- Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture and stir well until fully coated and mixed.
- Place 1/2 Tbsps of mixture onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet into refrigerator until clusters are hardened.
At first, I used a whole tablespoon full of the mixture, but when I realized how big they were I cut them all in half.
Well, I just HAD to taste test them so here are my thoughts:
These are pretty good, but I thought they could be a bit sweeter. I loved the texture though. The crunch of the pretzels and almonds, the chewiness of the craisins, and the creaminess of the chocolate and peanut butter really meshed well. The salt on the pretzels helped deepen the flavor as well.
The next time I make these I will used sweetened peanut butter and just not add the powdered sugar. (Save a little on the calories and it would taste better).
If you want it even sweeter you can use sweetened peanut butter AND milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet.
Hope you all enjoy!