Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kat's Gluten Free Sweet & Salty Party Mix

I felt like having popcorn, but I didn't want plain or buttered popcorn, so I was looking in the cabinets for ideas for flavors when I saw some Honey Nut Chex cereal, and some Gluten Free Pretzles. I grabbed those and some Sliced Almonds, and I had the makings of a super delicious and Super Easy Party Mix (party for 1 that is. lol)
This Party Mix is gluten free, but if you are not sensative to gluten, feel free to make it with regular pretzels instead.
Kat's Gluten Free Sweet & Salty Party Mix
  • 4-6 Cups Air Popped Popcorn(No un-popped kernels! They are a safety hazard if you bite down on one or swallow them)
  • 1 Cup Honey Nut Chex
  • 1 Handful Glutino Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks (About 15 Pretzels, Broken in half)
  • 1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
This recipe is super easy, all you have to do is Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl, and enjoy! For a large party multiply the ingredients as much as you'd like. It'll be delicious no matter how much or how little you make.
The heavier ingredients will sink to the bottom of the bowl, but since I am eating this by myself I don't mind... but if you are having this at a party then I suggest serving it in large shallow dish/platter so the mix is spread out and the popcorn isn't covering everything else.
I don't mind all the other stuff falling to the bottom of the bowl when I am eating it by myself because I like when the popcorn is almost all gone and all the goodies are left to eat by the handful. lol ;)

Now this party mix is pretty healthy because there is no added sugar or salt or oil in the form of a glaze that most party mixes have.
Air Popped Popcorn is very low in calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium, and sugar and high in dietary fiber.
Honey Nut Chex are high in iron and vitamins B6 and B12, and also have vitamins A and C and calcium, but it also has lots of sugar so I only use 1 cup.
The Glutino Pretzels have no sugar and no cholesterol, but it does have a lot of sodium, so I only use a handful (about 15 pretzel sticks).
And the Sliced Almonds are low in sugars and high in protein, and also have calcium and iron, but the calories can add up so I only use 1/4 cup of them.
So there you have it, a snack with Protein, Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamins B6 and B12, Iron, and Calcium. And it will satisfy your sweet cravings, salty cravings, and satisfy your hunger! Plus it's Gluten Free!

2 comments:

  1. Om nom nom! I admit; I'm kinda into the whole sweet and salty thing now! TASTY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was sooooo good. I'll have to make it again! YUM!

    ReplyDelete