Thursday, January 5, 2012

Orange Bento

I wanted a Baked Sweet Potato for dinner, and I also had some Baby Carrots and Hummus. So I decided to make an Orange themed Bento,
  • Hummus in an Orange cup
  • Baby Carrots
  • Green and Purple Grapes
  • Clementine
  • Baked Sweet Potato with skin
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower with my Orange Giraffe pick
  • Cherry Tomato
I could have made the bento entirely orange, but then it wouldn't have as much nutrition and variety in it. That is why I try to follow the 5 color rule to making Bento. I try to have something of each of these colors (Red, Orange/Yellow, Green, Brown/Black, White/Tan) And in theory, if you have each of these colors represented in your bento, then your meal should be balanced nutritionally... unfortunately with all the prepackaged foods and food coloring available today, bentos with multiple colors can be nutritionally empty... But if you use fresh, whole foods with lots of color then you will have nutrition, variety, and a yummy meal.

3 comments:

  1. But is it an evil giraffe? >.> ....;-P
    Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's a sad giraffe. I don't know why. All the animal picks had different expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...sweet potato! Thanks for the submission!

    ReplyDelete