Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year Bento

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Today is the first day of The Year of the Dragon. Goodbye Year of the Rabbit (I was born in the year of the Rabbit).
Anyway, I made a bento using my new Foodsafe Markers! It's so exciting!!! I have all the colors of the rainbow plus black, so now I can start drawing on my food, and adding more details to my bentos.
  • Lg Strawberry
  • 2 Blackberries
  • Sunflower Seeds and Pumpkin Seeds
  • Rice Pudding with Cinnamon and Golden Raisins (Red + Gold Envelope)
  • Clementine (Pink Plum Blossom)
  • 2 Sunsweet Ones Prunes
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Rice (Gong Xi Fa Cai)
The details were made with Corn Tortilla and Foodsafe Markers. I used my mini letter cutters for the letters, and I hand drew and cut out the envelope and the plum blossom.

I looked up what is traditionally eaten on Chinese New Year, so I could make my bento. Fish is usually eaten or displayed, so I used my Yellow Fish Spoon (but unfortunately the fish was cut off in the picture). Mandarin Oranges are traditional, but I only had clementines, so that is what I used. Sunflower and Pumpkins Seeds are also eaten, so I added some in... unfortunately my sunflower seeds were stale and I ended up tossing them outside for the birds to enjoy. Nian gao is a type of rice pudding that is eaten, so I added my No Sugar added rice pudding to my bento. Sweets and Dried fruit are also given as presents, so I added Golden Raisins, and Prunes to my bento. These sweets are usually kept in a red and black box so I added a Red Strawberry and Blackberries for color.

I wish you all Prosperity in the New Year!


4 comments:

  1. AAAAAH! It's so cute! I LOVE how it came out with the markers! :-D The flower and envelope are SO cute! And love your explanations; keep it up! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Thank you. I am planning an Emily the Strange Bento for sometime this week. I hope I can draw Emily, Miles, and Mystery well enough. I'll be using a LOT of black marker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Diana, Happy New Year to you too

    ReplyDelete