Wednesday, September 12, 2012

2 Ingredient Banana Pancakes

This is an amazing recipe I found online for pancakes made with only 2 ingredients Bananas and Eggs. That means it's Grain Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free, and Super Healthy (low calorie as well!).
...What? Pancakes made from Bananas and Eggs? That's just crazy...
Believe me, I thought of a Banana Omelet... and that is not something that sounds good to me, but I tried them and they were very yummy.
But there is a trick to making them come out like pancakes instead of a lump of mush... You HAVE to be patient and cook them slowly. (I wasn't patient enough and I turned the heat a little too high... the result was slightly burnt pancakes... but after the first one burnt I turned down the heat...)
Also Blending the banana and egg is very important as well.
Ingredients:
  • 1 Small Banana
  • 1/4 Cup Egg Beaters  (or one whole egg. I used egg beaters to make it cholesterol free and lower calorie)
  • Optional Toppings: Peanut Butter, Sunflower Butter, Chocolate Chips, Chocolate Sauce, Fresh Berries, Fruit Spreads/Jams, Powdered Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Whipped Cream, Etc.
Directions:
  1. In a bowl, mash the banana well with a fork (or you could use a high powered blender or food processor.
  2. Add egg and beat until homogenous.
  3. Heat frying pan on medium low heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  4. When pan is hot enough, add a large spoonful of the batter into the pan and let it cook until you see bubbles coming up through the center and the edges are cooked.
  5. Carefully flip the pancake and cook the other side. (Do not rush it or it'll burn or become a pile of goo.)
  6. Serve pancakes with whatever topping you like. I had mine with a Tbsp of crunchy peanut butter.
This recipe makes one serving of about 4-5 small pancakes. It's easier and better to make small pancakes with this batter. The calories per recipe (without optional toppings) are about 120 calories (made with egg beaters) or 162 calories (made with a large egg).

1 comment:

  1. I tried this just as you said with egg beaters (also wanted cholesterol free), I was going to make just one large pancake. I used plant butter made from oatmilk and added a bit of cinnamon. I could not flip it without it breaking up so ended up a pile of banana scrambled eggs. Still tasted great though.

    ReplyDelete