Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bangers and Mash Bento

The other day I made Bangers and Mash for dinner. This is an English dish that consists of Sausages and Mashed Potatoes. I decided to make it a bit healthier by making Garden Vegetable Chicken Sausage instead of a pork sausage, and Mashed cauliflower instead of Mashed potatoes. I mashed the cauliflower with I can't believe it's not butter spread and Almond milk, as well as lots and lots of freshly cracked pepper (a medley of peppercorns not just black).
I also served it with peas, and then mixed the mash and the peas together (because peas taste so good mixed with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.)YUM!
Anyway, I had some leftovers and I wanted to make a small bento, so today for a quick lunch I made myself a Bangers and Mash bento.
I added a little mustard for color and for dipping the sausage in, and I also added some Cherry Tomatoes for color and for a fresh clean flavor as well.
  • Garden Vegetable Chicken Sausage (Two cut in half)
  • Mashed Cauliflower mixed with Green Peas
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Mustard
Although this isn't super cute or pretty I did use the 5 colors rule to make it. The 5 colors rule is a bento making rule that you should use 5 colors (Red, Yellow, Green, Black/Brown, and White/Cream) I often times use orange in place of yellow because I use carrots a lot.
The idea of this rule is that you use a variety of foods (meat, vegetables, fruit starch etc.) in order to get the colors, so your bento become:
  • Healthy/Nutritionally Balanced (filled with fruits vegetables etc and not just meat and starch)
  • Aesthetically pleasing (Nice to look at with contrasting colors)
  • Fun to eat (variety of textures)

2 comments:

  1. x.x Detail... So much detail... Kat is all creative and stuff!

    ReplyDelete