Friday, July 27, 2012

Vegetarian Bibimbap Bento

I went to Hmart with my fiance the other day and I had Bibimbap for lunch. It's usually served with beef and a fried egg on top, but I asked for it without, and let me tell you, this delicious dish does not need the beef at all, the rice and the vegetables are delicious, filling and satisfying on their own.
Bibimbap is a signature Korean dish. The word literally means "mixed meal" or "mixed rice". Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with sautéed and seasoned vegetables and chili pepper paste. A raw or fried egg and sliced meat (usually beef) are common additions. The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating. It can be served either cold or hot.
Anyway, I was still in the mood for Bibim Bap, so I made it for dinner last night. I made mine Vegan and Gluten Free, and I made my fiance a vegetarian version with the egg and a meat substitute.
This was my Vegan, Gluten Free, Bibimbap
This is my fiance's Vegetarian Bibimbap with fried egg and meat substitute.

My Bento had:
  • Steamed White Rice (I made in my rice cooker)
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Bean Sprouts
  • Zucchini
  • Shiitake Mushrooms
  • Spinach
I sauteed the vegetables in a mixture of gluten free soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, ground ginger, cracked pepper, sesame seeds, and rice wine. I did not have the chili pepper paste, nor did I really want it. I like the dish without it. 
My fiance had the same thing along with:
  • Morningstar Farms Meatless Crumbles
  • Fried Egg Sunny Side Up
The egg is slightly undercooked because you are supposed to mix it into the hot vegetables and rice and let the heat finish cooking it. I usually love the egg, but this time I felt like having just vegetables and rice. YUM!

The sauce wasn't exactly the same as Bibimbap, it was my own invention, but there are recipes for Bibimbap online if you want it to be authentic. 



No comments:

Post a Comment